Wednesday, January 28, 2009

U.S. Pond Hockey Championships

Granted, I don't know much about it other than what I've come across online, but I'm fascinated by the U.S. Pond Hockey Championships.

Played last weekend in Minnesota it sounds like an amazing event that gets at the sentimental hockey fan side of me... and makes me think of Dave Bidini's book "Tropic of Hockey" that I recently finished. Written in large part due to Bidini's disillusionment with the NHL, it seeks out hockey in different venues around the globe. But, I digress (and there will more more to come on this blog about the Bidini book)...

Back to the tournament. The 30 second video below is a television ad for the 2007 U.S. Pond Hockey Championships and gives a pretty good flavor of the event.



Very cool stuff.

Additional details can be found on the tournament webpage at http://www.uspondhockey.com/ , with the images below taken from the site.






For those whose interest has been piqued by all this, there's the 3 minute segment below about the 2008 tournament from The Today Show.


Yet again... very cool, and cold.

No comments: